Saturday, April 10, 2010

Another first!

Today, I'm doing my first presentation as a "professional, published author".

I'm so excited. I don't know about you, but when I was writing and hoping to be published, I wasn't dreaming of the day I'd see my words in print, or my cover or do a booksigning or any o'that stuff. I was looking forward to doing a presentation.

It's a dream come true.

Wierd, huh?

Most people rate the thought of public speaking as more frightening than death. I, however, enjoy it. (Not that afraid of death either, come to think of it. You know--it's all an adventure.) I think it all stems from being the youngest in a large family. You have to perform to be heard and dammit--I like to be heard. (Of course, in my own home now, surrounded by dogs, guinea pigs, children, their friends and a very large and loud husband, no one hears me OR listens to me...)

I'm speaking to the Rhode Island Romance Writers group, and I'm looking forward to seeing their familiar and--to be honest--much loved faces. They've been my writing family forever, and they (unlike my real family) have always listened to--and heard--me. I just hope I impart a small kernal of wisdom to at least a few of them, today. Or at least, give them a smile.

My topic: Writing Funny into Your Fiction. Gulp. Let's hope it works.

3 comments:

  1. *hugs* I'm so excited for you. And irritated with your family. :( You go, have your words, and enjoy yourself like it's 1989. :D
    ~Bethanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it went well for you. :) I'm sure it was a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyn,
    You did a great presentation Saturday! I envy your enthusiasm and your gift for public speaking. I learned a lot-- and look forward to putting it to use ;-)

    ReplyDelete